Haugland Group has an immediate need for tugboat deckhands.
Deckhands will be responsible to maintain the vessels in a state of readiness to perform work for customers as needed. Perform work as directed by captain of vessel. Job includes pulling heavy lines, climbing onto and walking on barges, boats and narrow barge walkways. Deck must be hosed down and free of lines. All gear must be put away when not in use. Make up all tows, and multiple barge tows as directed by Captain.
- Use the VHF portable radio.
- Splice lines.
- Properly tie off barge tows, raft tows, etc.
- Give proper direction and distance signals and information.
- Use equipment on the tug -- winches, capstan, pike pole, pumps.
- Make up multiple barge tows.
- Fuel tug.
- Complete barge reports, engine room logs.
- Paint inside and outside of tug on an on-going basis.
- Prepare grocery/supplies list.
- Plan, prepare and cook multiple meals for crew members.
- Cleaning restrooms.
- Perform special duties and other projects as assigned.
- Adhere to all company policies.
- Accomplish all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to comprehend, respond and carry out specific orders from the captain.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Must possess good communication skills by voice and/or visual hand signals.
- Ability to learn safety awareness, injury prevention, firefighting.
- Must be able to read, speak and understand English over the telephone and/or radio.
- Must be physically able to pull heavy lines/hoses, lift, tighten winches, carry heavy items, kneel while painting or changing oil/filters, climb onto barges and upstairs to wheelhouse, bending and twisting during boat/barge tie-up.
- Knowledge of company safety practices
- Minimum 1-2 years sea time on vessels
- Must have a valid MMC
- Valid TWIC
- Must possess valid driver license.
- Current USCG medical certificate
- Exposure to all weather conditions (rain, ice, snow, heat, wind, etc.).
- Must have the ability and flexibility to work a variety of schedules and hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Must be able to report for duty with a one-hour notice.
Compensation is highly competitive, commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package.
Haugland Group LLC and its operating divisions, affiliates, related entities, and subsidiaries (collectively, “the Company”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes are considered property of the Company and therefore, the Company will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited referral. Only upon the Company’s written request may preferred vendors may be invited to refer talent for specific open positions. In these cases, a fully-executed agreement with the Company must be in place and current.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability).